Don't Make It Easy: Crime Prevention Information and Tips
The 'Don't Make It Easy' Program
Don't make it easy for thieves to burglarize your home or vehicle! Most theft is a crime of opportunity that can be avoided by simply locking your doors and windows. Below is more information regarding the 'Don't Make It Easy' program by the Grayslake Police Department with helpful information and tips about how to keep your home and vehicle safe from burglars.
Statistics show that most home theft occurs between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, and thieves look for easy access to homes through open doors and windows. Most thieves will not force entry into your home if the doors are locked. Here are some simple ways to protect your home from theft:
- Close your garage door, even when you are home.
- Do not leave windows open when you are away.
- To reduce the opportunity for burglars to hide consider putting lights on sensors or timers at night. Clearing overgrown shrubs or trees will also eliminate hiding places.
- If you do not have a home alarm system, posting signs on your property showing that you have an alarm system is enough to prevent
- Have somebody you trust
watchyour house when you go on vacation. You can also have your house placed on a vacation watch through the Grayslake Police Department.
Vehicle theft is more often a crime of opportunity, where thieves look for open doors and windows to search vehicles for valuables. Statistics show that would be thieves will move on to another vehicle if your doors and windows are locked. Protect your vehicle by following these tips:
- Keep your car locked at all times you are not in it.
- Don't keep items of value in plain sight or take them out of the vehicle completely. Cell phones, Cameras, Computers, Vehicle titles, etc. Thieves can sell your stuff for money and can get a lot of personal information from you about your home, family
- Make sure your windows and doors are locked, even the trunk. Offenders will try to enter vehicles through open doors or trunks that have not been properly closed.
- Don't leave your keys inside the car. Thieves can not only steal your car, but they will also have access to your home.
For any questions regarding the 'Don't Make It Easy' program for how to protect your home and vehicle, please call the Grayslake Police Department at 847-223-2341.